Sunday, April 5, 2009

April Fools' Day

Hmmm . . . is it April Fools' Day, because there are multiple fools? Or is there only on fool, making it April Fool's Day? I'm guessing multiple fools. But that really doesn't matter all that much. Here's the trick:
After I got the kids off to school on Wednesday morning, I sat down to pour myself a bowl of cheerios. Only what came out of the box was corn flakes! Ethan had taken all of the bags out of the cereal boxes and switched them around. Very, very sneaky. I was a bit sad that he wasn't around to see me fall for it, but I made sure to tell him all about it when he got home.

Book of the Week: Eats, Shoots & Leaves: the zero tolerance approach to punctuation
Sticklers Unite!! This is a really funny book about the ins and outs of comma usage, the ABC's of apostraphes, and the rules for lesser understood punctuation such as semicolons and hyphens. If you've ever wondered about the difference between their, there, and they're, this is the book for you. If you've ever been tempted to take a red pen to a thank-you note, this is the book for you. If you've ever really wanted to correct the grammar of the officer writing the speeding ticket (I was not driving "to fast". I was driving "too fast". There's a big difference.), then you need to read this book. It is very informative and funny, and it makes sticklers like me feel a little bit justified in our quirky, grammar-obsessed way of life.

No comments: