Last week, my kids decided they really needed another pet. I said no way to hamster, lizard, turtle, rabbit, and parrot. Finally we found one we could agree on: fish. I can handle fish. In fact, our last goldfish (Nemo) lived for a full 2 years. So on Thursday afternoon we loaded in the car and took off for the pet store in Payson. We drove back and forth about 5 times, but couldn't see it. So I decided to run into my vet (which is located right next to where I thought the pet store was) to ask what I was doing wrong. They basically told me "right location, wrong year". The pet store is now a Mexican restaurant. So I was asking where the next best place is to buy goldfish. They don't have fish at the wal-mart in Payson either. I was going to have to drive all the way to Provo. For a fish. But it just so happens that there was a nice couple in there to pick up their dog, and they said " We have a huge fish tank and they breed, so we have lots of fish. We'll just give you some fish." I took my four kids and followed some complete strangers to their house. Good idea, right? I figured if they were crazy murderers, at least we'd die together. And James could spend the rest of his life trying to avenge us. So we went to their house, and sure enough their fish tank was about the size of the island in my kitchen, and it was filled with fish. They scooped out three, put them in a large ziploc bag, and said "call us when you need more". So not only did I get free fish once, if I want I can have a lifetime supply.
In case you're wondering, fish don't breed in fish bowls. They have to have a large space. So I shouldn't have any little fish babies on my hands. How lucky is that, that those crazy fish breeders just happened to be in the vet at the same time as me? I have so much bad luck, that I have to really celebrate the good luck that comes my way. Yay for free fish!
WILKERSON FAMILY REUNION CRUISE
8 years ago
1 comment:
Awesome - have you heard about Jenn's Brother Matt's Fish Sammy -
Here is his story in his candid words
Many years ago (12 1/2 to be exact) I was at my 3rd grade elementary school carnival. Whilst meandering through the crowd of sticky, cotton-candy infested school children that smelled of nacho cheese, I came across an attraction that was too good to pass up. For one ticket (one ticket=25 cents) you could attempt to throw a ping-pong ball into a tub of fish and if you succeeded, you became the proud owner of said goldfish. My sharp aim and flawless depth-perception enabled me to win, not once, not twice, but three times! I went home that afternoon with three new goldfish! I was ecstatic; my mother...not so much.
However, within 48 hours, my first goldfish perished. Soon thereafter, my next goldfish also bit the dust, if you will. That left me with Sam, the last remaining goldfish.
And here we are, 12 1/2 years later, both still alive and kicking (or swimming, in his case). My beloved fish has had his share of traumatizing ordeals, including, but not limited to: flipping out of his bowl onto scratchy carpet and lying there motionless for an estimated 15 minutes, flipping out of his bowl and landing onto a hot stove, sliding down the kitchen sink drain and nearly dying from the disposal blades, and being flushed down the toilet.
I just returned from serving a 2 year mission and was pleasantly surprised to discover Sam, swimming around in his little fish bowl, just like he has for the past decade +. Unfortunately, it appears, that Sam has cataracts...his eyes are now white. Poor Sam...
Sometimes when I think he might be bored, I reassure myself that goldfish have an attention span of three seconds. Thank goodness...
Post a Comment