Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year / Pancakes

Here is one of my New Year's Resolutions: Find recipes that my family likes to eat that use up my food storage. My parents live in Houston still, and when Hurricaine Ike came through, some of the people they know ended up being without power for 3-4 weeks. Ouch! It reminded me of why it's such a good idea to have stuff (not just money, but food and hygiene items) stored away. Just in case. And to have a way to feed my family without an oven. I'll try to include my best food storage recipes on my blog. Here's the first one:

Pancakes

1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. dried eggs
2/3 cup powdered milk
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

I mix this all together the night before. Then in the morning all I have to do is add:

2 cups water (more or less depending on the consistency you want. I like to add a tiny bit more)
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil

Cook them up and serve them with syrup. It's a good way to get kids to eat whole wheat.

While I'm at it, I'm going to try to do a book of the week. And the book of the week is . . .
Marley and Me, by John Grogan. I LOVED it! 5 stars! It was one of the funniest books I've ever read, but it was also thoughtful and, in a way, romantic. It's about 13 years in the life of John and his wife Jenny. The book begins and ends with the life of Marley, the world's worst dog. But it includes so much more! The births of their children, job decisions, things they went through as a couple during the years they had this dog. And, did I mention, the book is very very funny. It has some adult content (like when they're trying to have a baby or deciding whether Marley needs to have a certain surgery) so don't let your 10-year-old read it. But read it yourself.

No comments: