I haven't been able to sign in for about a week. Don't know why. Don't know why it let me in today.
We had a really busy weekend! Last Friday we had 2 couples in our neighborhood over for dinner. We've been good friends with Sean and Kristin for a few years now. Kristin and I taught Primary together for almost 2 years, and we've gone out to eat together several times. The other couple was Bronson and Lexi. They live up the street, and we know them to say hello, but we'd never done anything social with them. It was a really fun night. We ate dinner, played Nertz, and ate dessert. Nothing spectacular, but we all had a great time.
Saturday Taylie and I had a mommy-daughter date. We went to DI because I wanted a khaki "fat skirt" and I didn't want to pay real money because I don't plan on being fat much longer. Taylie found a pair of PJ's she wanted, and I found a skirt, so we went into the dressing room. We had to take the whole cart in there because Blake was asleep in there and I had already filled it with books. (The real reason for the DI trip. Surprised, anyone?) I wish I could describe me and Taylie both trying to get changed in about 18 inches of space. It was really funny. I got my skirt and my books, she got her pajamas, and we went out for ice cream after.
I actually did make a yummy bread recipe last week, but before I post it online I want to tweak it a little bit.
Book of the Week: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
We read this for my Ward Book Group. It is the story of a little girl in Nazi Germany. She is living with a foster family. The dad is really really fantastic and the mom is kind of scary. She cusses a lot in German, but there is no pronunciation guide so I can't use those cuss words at home. darn. (kidding). As you might guess by the title, the little girl (Liesel) steals a few books and learns to read them. The book says a lot about the power of words. It also says a lot about what it means to be human. The Book Thief was hard for me to get into at first because the writing style is very different. It is narrated by death, first of all, and he isn't very concerned with keeping things in chronological order. Much of the ending is given away throughout the book. Once I got used to death's 'voice', though, I did like the book. It is full of loveable, interesting, surprising characters. And it made me think. It was different from anything I'd read before. If you decide to read it, give it at least 50 pages to get used to the style before you decide whether to continue or not. I'm glad I finished it.
WILKERSON FAMILY REUNION CRUISE
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment